The German Association of the Holy Land (DVHL) based in Cologne traces back to the Association of the Holy Grave, founded in 1855, and is, since its affiliation with the Palestine-Association in 1895, under the protection of the Federal Republic of Germany. Currently around 12.000 members belong to the DVHL. The President and first Chairman is, in compliance with the constitution, the archbishop of Cologne. The executive board (consisting of the Secretary General, the Vice-President and an elected member of the administrative board) conducts the association’s business in coordination with the administrative board (consisting of six elected members of the General Assembly). The General Secretary, located in Cologne, as well as the Jerusalem Office coordinates the work in the Holy Land. The association’s interests are represented in each German diocese by the diocesan chairman, appointed by each local bishop.